Saturday, March 20, 2010

i am a teacher

National Library...taken during NILAM 2009



I am a teacher.

I was born the first moment that a question leaped from the mouth of a child.

Throughout the course of a day I have been called upon to be an actor, friend, nurse and doctor, coach, finder of lost articles, money lender, taxi driver, psychologist, substitute parent, salesman, politician and a keeper of the faith.

Despite the maps, charts, formulas, verbs, stories and books, I have really nothing to teach, for my students really have only themselves to learn and I know it takes the whole world to tell you who you are.

I am a paradox. I speak loudest when I listen the most. My greatest gifts are in what I am willing to appreciatively receive from my students.

Material wealth is not one of my goals, but I am a full-time treasure seeker in my quest for new opportunities for my students to use their talents and in my constant search for those talents that sometimes lie buried in self-defeat.

An architect knows that if he builds with care, his structure may stand for centuries. A teacher knows that if she builds with love and truth, what she builds will last forever.

I am most fortunate of all who labour

I have a past that is rich in memories. I have a present that is challenging, adventurous and fun because I am allowed to spend my days with the future.

I am a teacher … and I thank God for it every day

an adaptation from J Schlatter



* i just love this poem..so inspiring..

i keep nodding in agreement while reading it...because it expressing the truth...


kerjaya sebagai guru...sangat berbeza dgn kerjaya yang lain..
untuk menjadi seorang guru yg baik dan effective...bukan bersandarkan sijil dan kelayakan...
ade orang mempunyai master dan phd, tapi masih gagal menyampaikan ilmu dgn baik.......
seorang guru yg baik dan effective....ialah sesuatu yg sukar diperolehi....u need to have all the experiences, u need to be flexible...to be able to change your lesson to suit ur students...most importantly...u need to understand ur students...not simply demand their respect because you are the bearer of knowledge...
tapi..
ade org kata kerje nie senang...
kadang tu bile duduk dalam kelas...facing 35 energetic 17 year olds students..
terpikir juga...kalau 35 org nie...bertukar menjadi fail-fail serta dokumen-dokumen yg perlu diteliti, di highlight, catit2.....terletak dgn kemas di atas meja....kaku, lifeless.....
wahhh...muuuudaaahhhhhh.......
"TEACHER!!!!!...kalau nak bagitau...saya intai die dalam english mcm mana?"
"TEACHER!!!!... kena selang tak antara alamat sender dgn receiver nie??"
"TEACHER!!!!...tgk At nie...gatal la, keje teacher die xbuat lagi...dok nyembang je"
"TEACHER!!!..nak pas keluar kelas.nak p toi..nanti jumpa pengetua, xpakai pas..die rotan"
"TEACHER!..tau tak saiful dah break dgn nadia?"..(opss...ketidak seswaian di sini)
motipnye: mudah mengajar bile kita duct tape kan mulut 35 nie..(ala ala MC Mong dalam 2D1N masa die tape Kang Hodong satu badan). Tapi, kena saman kang..sapa nak bayar????

4 comments:

  1. i love that poem as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dedication inspired me to be an instructor

    ReplyDelete
  3. to both anon,

    anon 1 - i love poem...its simplicity always manages to evoke emotion in me.

    anon 2 - tq sooo much. your comment moved me..am so looking forward to new challenges...and wish u good luck...be what you want to be...with passion and hard work...you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jupa:
    thanks, inspiring. but the truth is my enthusiasm was killed long ago. what kept me going is obligation n passion for teaching n love for the students jek.
    its is sad that we sumtimes hve to succumb to the system an fail ourselves kan....
    p/s mane toyol nye oi!

    ReplyDelete